Re: power off on win32 machine

I've encountered the following situation:
once my win2k pro machine turned off by force (shutting the power down)
the slapd service fail to start.

if i copy the __db.* files (001 to 005) to the db directory, it starts ok
with no data lost.

my question is: what happened there and how can i prevent this files
corruption from happening?

I assume you mean back-bdb...

You are supposed to shut down cleanly. If you don't, you must run database recovery to ensure no data is lost. (See the BDB documentation available at http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/utility/db_recover.html for more details)

for example,

cd var/openldap-data
db_recover -v
(then you can start slapd)

Though I imagine that would look someone different on a windows machine, the same idea applies.

You might want to make database recovery part of the startup script... But be careful not to run recovery on a running database.

Matthew Backes
lucca@csun.edu