Using LDAP for User authentication

Hello everyone!

Well, I have a couple of questions about using LDAP for user authentication.

First question: Is Samba necessary for LDAP authentication, or is that only if you are planning on setting up the server as a PDC?

Secondly, as I become more comfortable with LDAP, I am starting to understand more about schema, objectclasses and designing.

At this point, I am trying to figure out what exactly I need to setup LDAP for authentication. Right now, I only have two users on a test machine that I am using. I guess my question would be, would would be the easiest way at this point to make my test machine start using LDAP for user authentication?

Does anyone have some general guidelines or suggestions on how to get started with this?

I really do appreciate everyones help.

Cheers,

Jason