Question on implementing OpenLDAP

Hello everyone!

I have a question about configuring LDAP.
I am currently using the stable version of OpenLDAP on Red Hat 8.0.

What I want to do is setup LDAP to hold some specific information about our company. Only problem is that I still have a lot to learn and there is a ton to earn.

I would like to setup our LDAP server to be able to authenticate our users. I have been testing, adding users and information, but I am stumped a bit and need some help.

I would like to setup organization like so:

dn: cn= randomuser, ou=Managers, dc=mycompany,dc=com

Of course, I would like to implement different departments. For example, sales, IT, Managers, servers etc.

Here is a entry I was trying to put into our LDAP server for testing purposes.

[root@nitro schema]# ldapadd -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=mycompany,dc=com" -W
Enter LDAP Password:
dn: uid=jwilliams,ou=InformationTechnology,dc=mycompany,dc=com
objectclass: top
objectclass: posixAccount
uid: jwilliams
cn: Jason Williams
cn: Williams, Jason
uidNumber: 500
gidNumber: 100
homeDirectory: /home/jwilliams
userPassword: password
gecos: Jason Williams
adding new entry "uid=jwilliams,ou=InformationTechnology,dc=mycompany,dc=com"
ldapadd: update failed: uid=jwilliams,ou=InformationTechnology,dc=mycompany,dc=com
ldap_add: Undefined attribute type (17)
additional info: uidNumber: attribute type undefined

Ok, so I figured it was something with the schema. I have been reading all the documentation that I have found to try and figure out what exactly I am doing wrong.

Can anyone shed some light on what exactly I may be missing and what I can do to fix this issue?
Here is my slapd.conf file for reference:

# See slapd.conf(5) for details on configuration options.

include         /usr/local/openldap/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /usr/local/openldap/etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /usr/local/openldap/etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema

pidfile         /usr/local/openldap/var/slapd.pid
argsfile        /usr/local/openldap/var/slapd.args

database        bdb
suffix          "dc=mycompany,dc=com"
rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=mycompany,dc=com"

rootpw          secret

directory       /usr/local/openldap/var/openldap-data

index   objectClass     eq

Thanks everyone.

Jason, who needs to buy some books on LDAP