Re: ldap_bind: Can't Contact LDAP server(81)

Hi Adil:

Try to use the option -h host , where host is the LDAP server.
Hope this helps.

Cindy Wang
Product Software Engineer
KiNETWORKS

Karamat Adil IHMD wrote:

Hi All,
  I am new to this Ldap thing and I need to get it to work with Tomcat.
Well I down loaded the latest stable release and followed the instructions
as it says in the install Doc. Everything installed fine and when I ran the
test it seemed ok. Just a few Errors, but it said error ignored.  The output
of the make test was as follows:
------------------
Test Output:

cd tests; make test
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/openldap-2.1.16/tests'
ln: `./data': cannot overwrite directory
make[1]: [test-bdb] Error 1 (ignored)
ln: `./schema': File exists
make[1]: [test-bdb] Error 1 (ignored)
ln: `ucdata/liblunicode': File exists
make[1]: [test-bdb] Error 1 (ignored)
Initiating LDAP tests for BDB...

Executing all LDAP tests...
Test Directory: .
Backend: bdb
Starting test000-rootdse ...

running defines.sh
Datadir is ./data
Cleaning up in ./test-db...
Starting slapd on TCP/IP port 9009...
Using ldapsearch to retrieve the root DSE...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
dn:
objectClass: top
objectClass: OpenLDAProotDSE
structuralObjectClass: OpenLDAProotDSE
namingContexts: o=OpenLDAP Project,l=Internet

ln: `./data': cannot overwrite directory
make[1]: [test-ldbm] Error 1 (ignored)
ln: `./schema': File exists
make[1]: [test-ldbm] Error 1 (ignored)
ln: `ucdata/liblunicode': File exists
make[1]: [test-ldbm] Error 1 (ignored)
run configure with --enable-ldbm
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/openldap-2.1.16/tests'

Now when I do a Search or ldapadd it gives me ldap_bind: Can't Contact LDAP server (81) error.

Any one has any suggestions. And yes I did start the slapd server by using
the su root -c /usr/local/libexec/slapd command

Thanks in Advance
Adil