RE: Configuring Solaris 8 clients

Thanks for the examples but I'm still not able to configure solaris 8 as a client of the openldap 2.1.12 server.

Here's my /var/ldap/ldap_client_file

NS_LDAP_FILE_VERSION= 1.0
NS_LDAP_SERVERS= 152.2.104.6:389
NS_LDAP_SEARCH_BASEDN= dc=amath,dc=unc,dc=edu
NS_LDAP_AUTH= NS_LDAP_AUTH_NONE
NS_LDAP_TRANSPORT_SEC= NS_LDAP_SEC_NONE
NS_LDAP_SEARCH_REF= NS_LDAP_NOREF
NS_LDAP_DOMAIN= amath.unc.edu
NS_LDAP_EXP= 1045640377
NS_LDAP_SEARCH_DN= passwd:(ou=People,dc=amath,dc=unc,dc=edu), group:(ou=People,d
c=amath,dc=unc,dc=edu)
NS_LDAP_SEARCH_SCOPE= NS_LDAP_SCOPE_SUBTREE
NS_LDAP_SEARCH_TIME= 30

Here's my /var/ldap/ldap_client_cred

NS_LDAP_BINDDN= cn=solaris,ou=ldapusers,dc=amath,dc=unc,dc=edu

I've edited /etc/nsswitch.conf to place ldap into the passwd, group, hosts, etc., but when I run listusers all I get are the local users.

My questions:

- For the BINDDN, don't I need the password? When adding that 'user' into the LDAP dir, why is it that the NS_LDAP_BINDDN_PASSWD has the {NS1} stuff?

- Would upgrading to openLDAP 2.1.16 solve any of these problems?

For Solaris 9 I've run the ldapclient command that you supplied (with proper alterations for my LDAP system) and am able to get all of the LDAP users with listusers (yah!), but when I try and login to one of the LDAP accounts I get incorrect password errors. I can su - <ldap account> so I'm getting proper info from the LDAP server. Is this a PAM problem???

Thanks again to everyone who sent suggestions and responses to my earlier email.

--Matthew