Re: Auto-Increment

Sorry to resurrect this stale thread, but I have news to report. In short, I have changed my tune and made progress in the area of auto-incrementing identifiers. I revisited my solution to the requirement based on Howard's feedback, and not only did I implement it as prescribed by the best practice of storing the counter in the directory, I made this method available to all objects in my framework with a one-liner.

http://www.mentata.com/ldaphttp/examples/gospel/increment.htm

This is the open source process in action. I offer my thanks to the OpenLDAP community.

http://www.mentata.com/news/22Mar03.htm

To see the new algorithm work, just add a comment to the weblog:

http://www.mentata.com/ldaphttp/examples/gospel/jesusblog.htm

Don't be afraid. If lightning was going to strike anyone for this exercise, it would've surely been me :)

Looking at the archives, I'm definitely not the only one doing it like
this.

This is an argument for mediocrity. In the midst of an excellent post, I find
this position surprising.

I agree, and I wasn't implying that because others do something it's automatically a good idea. I'm just suggesting that this is going to be the natural path for people who aren't shown the alternative up front. I'm actually presenting both techniques just in case somebody still finds cause to use a memory-resident incrementor instead.

There is a motivation I didn't mention in my original posts. An implicit goal of my efforts was to make my code work with anyone's directory, regardless of what they have in it. I wanted to leave all knowledge of specific object classes, attributes, identities, and access control rules to the implementing organization (and to the M in MVC). I suspect a lot of other developers are responding to this same subconcious need, too. With this requirement, I skirted the issue.

To a small extent, there is also still an issue of performance and perhaps scalability with this best practice. In the general case, the database vs. memory approaches for determining the next identifier compare at roughly 20:1 in terms of speed and resources. However, with both under a second and still only a fraction of the typical cost of creating an entry, I would conclude this consideration is barely relevant.

Why did I use a country object for my counter? Why not; it's one of the smallest classes in the core schema.

If this issue keeps coming up, as no doubt it will, feel free to send people to me as well as the list archives. I consider myself indebted, and am willing to work it off.

Yours in all humility,
Jon Roberts
www.mentata.com