Perl and Passwords

I need to write a CGI so that people can modify their passwords, which are
stored in LDAP over the web.  Currently the passwords are changed by them
coming to us and us typing in the commands, then letting them type in their
new passwords (we do not allow shell access).  Does anyone have something to
do this, I have had difficulty in finding one.  In particular I need to find
how to encrypt the password so that it matches the one regularly stored in
/etc/shadow.

thanks,

Daniel Davidson