Re: Forwarding requests?

Andrew McCall:
> Hi,
>
> I am not too sure what I actually want to do, but hopefully I can
> explain :)
>
> At the moment, our LDAP directory is set up so that about 4000 desktop
> machines do a search on the address book using the search base of
> o=oldhammbc,c=uk.  We are planning to perform a major overhall of the
> LDAP direcotory, and I would like to change the base to
> dc=oldham,dc=gov,dc=uk.
>
> I can't do this if it involves going to all 4000 PC's and changing their
> address book settings, but I was wondering if there was anyway that
> OpenLDAP can "forward" requests from one search base to another? I would
> like to be able to put some setting in so that the old base is
> automatically translated into the new base - is this possible??

You can make the change to reflect your new base and then make another
database with your old base but no entries wich uses your new setup as
referral. I haven't tested it myself, but I'v been told it should work.

--
Regards

Bjørn Ove Grøtan

"SELECT 2 + 2, pi(), 'PostgreSQL is more than a calculator!';"