RE: 2nd bdb tree access problem

'man slapd.conf' actually says

  GLOBAL CONFIGURATION OPTIONS

  Options described in this section apply to all backends, unless
specifically overridden in a backend definition.

In the case of access controls, any rules you specify before any backends are
defined are global. Controls you specify after a "database" keyword apply
only to that specific database.

  -- Howard Chu