Not able to handle more than a few thousand users?

I'm getting strange behavior on 2.1.12 running on HPUX 11.11 and using
Berkeley DB 4.1.25. I have a script which is adding users, one at a time,
using Perl LDAP, from another source. A thousand or so users, and it is
fine. But at around 3000 or so, LDAP suddenly becomes painfully slow and
finally gives up the ghost with an LDAP_OTHER error. At this point, the
slapd daemon froze. I restarted it, and could do searches for individual
users. But trying to dump the entire database is miserable slow--on the
order of longer than an hour.

Any ideas? Any other details which would be useful to know? I'm really at
quite a loss...

Any help appreciated greatly!

-Robert