Linux Password encryption on Solaris 8

We have an OpenLDAP server with usernames and passwords generated on a RH
Linux 7.3 system. The Linux OpenLDAP clients work as expected, and the
Solaris 8 client don't.
When trying to integrate a Solaris 8 system with OpenLDAP, it does not
recognizes the userPassword in the way RH Linux encrypted it. However, if
the userPassword is obtained from Solaris system ({crypt} ...), both Solaris
and Linux OpenLDAP clients work.

If I am not mistaken, the conversion of password encryption methods is not
feasible, so does anybody have any suggestion on how to solve this issue?

Celso G. Lima
Systems Administrator
University of Southern Mississippi
Office of Technology Resources