Custom Backend Question

Hello,

I need to implement a custom backend for OpenLDAP, which will use CORBA as the transport.  After looking into the shell backend approach, it lead me to believe that this may not be a suitable method for CORBA because to start a CORBA connection for each transaction would be too expensive.  I am looking for suggestions and recommendations on what would be the best approach to build an OpenLDAP backend which supports only a subset of functionality, such as bind, search, etc. while keeping the module in memory to improve performance.  I am hesitate to build the module right into OpenLDAP core, but would be welling to do so if this was the best approach.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Ming