cannot access ldap server from netscape

Hi all,
I have ldap version 2.1.12 installed on a linux machine running redhat 8.0. From the command line I can do the following:

ldapsearch -x -b 'dc=chanco,dc=com' '(objectclass=*)'

and everything works fine. From another linux machine also running redhat 8.0 and with the same version of ldap install I can do the following:

ldapsearch -x -h 10.1.0.99 -b 'dc=chanco,dc=com' '(objectclass=*)'

and everything works fine

now from a windoze machine (98) running both mozilla (1.2a) and netscape (7.2)

I get the following:

connection_get(12): got connid=2
connection_read(12): checking for input on id=2
ber_get_next
ber_get_next: tag 0x30 len 12 contents:
ber_get_next
ber_get_next on fd 12 failed errno=11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)
do_bind
ber_scanf fmt ({imt) ber:
ber_scanf fmt (m}) ber:
>>> dnPrettyNormal: <>
<<< dnPrettyNormal: <>, <>
do_bind: version=2 dn="" method=128
send_ldap_result: conn=2 op=0 p=2
send_ldap_response: msgid=1 tag=97 err=2
ber_flush: 52 bytes to sd 12

i believe that I have the correct setting in netscape and mozilla but I keep getting the same results (nothing)

in my browsers I have setup the following:

Name: achilles
Hostname:<ip address of server>
BaseDN: dc=chanco,dc=com
Port Number: 389 (opened on the servers firewall)
Bind DN:<blank>

under andvanced I have:
Scope (subtree)
search filter:(objectclass=*)

my slapd.conf has the following:

pidfile         /usr/local/var/slapd.pid
argsfile        /usr/local/var/slapd.args
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema

database    bde
suffix          "dc=chanco,dc=com"
rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=chanco,dc=com"

rootpw          <passwd>
directory       /usr/local/var/openldap-data
index   objectClass     eq

I cannot for the life of me see why I can query locally, remotely (from another linux machine, using ldapsearch) BUT not from my browser.......

any advice or suggestions welcome!

thanks,
dougc