Re: Public LDAP Servers

Jon & list,

  Thanks.

> I found a good list of public servers at:
>
> http://www.emailman.com/ldap/public.html

  I'm getting the sinking feeling that there's something I just don't "get".  Both this list of services and the web portal you created are email address lookup applications.  I want to browse the hierarchy from the top down.  Is this possible?  Is anybody using LDAP in a production environment for anything other than email addresses?

  The LDAP-Express site has an "advanced options: LDAP Base" entry field, but provides no suggestions.  Now I understand that the search perameters can be entered there in the form "key=target, key2=target2", but how do I know what to enter?  Is there some sort of convention for these keys?

  I admit that I am a complete n00b, but I need to get started with this stuff and the online resources I have found so far are not helping with what should be a simple issue (connecting to public servers).  Any pointers would be great.

> If you just want to search a directory, Mozilla makes a good client :)

  Could you expand on this?  Do you mean using a web adapter/interface for LDAP, like the one you wrote?

> http://www.mentata.com/ldaphttp/examples/bigten/

  Thanks.  I'll take a look at your code.

  Also, I'm not really looking to store contact information, addresses, etc. in a directory.  I am more interested in the storage and retrieval of terminologies.  Consider, for example, a taxonomy of birds or anatomy, or a set of legal or medical definitions.  Does it make sense to store this sort of (hierarchical) data in an LDAP directory?  If so, are there any public repositories of this sort availble?

  Thanks again.

  - Matt Munz (mattmunz@email.com)