plaintext works, {crypt} - Inappropriate authentication

OK- if I specify a plain text rootpw for rootdn, plain binds, etc work. If, however, I change the rootpw to a crypt hash, I get "Inappropriate authentication (48)".

Below is a sample- the hash was generated with 'openssl passwd apple'

rootpw          {crypt}NpB5BzzSkEMnU

...but I've also tested hashes generated with various perl scripts with the same effect.

I've set up a number of directories before and never run into this. Other things linked against the same openssl passwd seem to work fine.

Any clues?

http://www.4am-media.com Mac OS X Consulting and Training Michael Bartosh mbartosh@4am-media.com 303.517.0272 Denver, CO

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher regard those who think alike than those who think differently."

- -- Nietzsche

			Think Different.