Re: Newbie question:How to stop OL?

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 07:17, Dan HINCKLEY wrote:
> I have an installation up and running, ldapadd OK, searches work fine.
>
> Started OL with /usr/local/libexec/ slapd
>
> To stop it, I try Kill -INT 'cat /usr/local/var/slapd.pid' and get the
> answer: 'no such pid'
>
> what am I missing here?
> how does one re-load the slapd.conf?
>
> running as root for the moment (not on the internet or LAN here), RH 8.

For some reason, the slapd.pid file does not contain the PID of the
current slapd process.  To find the PID of the running slapd, you can
use:
  ps -ef | grep slapd

That should give you output similar to the following:
ldap      7964     1  0 08:48 ?        00:00:00 /usr/local/libexec/slapd
ldap      7965  7964  0 08:48 ?        00:00:00 /usr/local/libexec/slapd
ldap      7966  7965  0 08:48 ?        00:00:00 /usr/local/libexec/slapd

Killing the one with parent PID == 1 should take care of all of them (in
this case, 'kill 7964').

Now as to why your pid file is out of date.  First check the ownership
of the file.  Chances are it is owned by 'root' and the current slapd
was either started by a non-root user or you used the '-u <user>' flag
when starting slapd so it changed it's userid at runtime.  Either way it
couldn't overwrite the already existing slapd.pid, so that file now
contains the PID of an old slapd run.  Remove the file before you start
slapd again and you should be OK (assuming that /usr/local/var is
writable by your slapd process).

	/dwight
--
Dwight N. Tovey