problems connect to ldap server from another machine

I am running openldap-2.1.12 on RedHat 7.2 (
I configured the software with:
./configure  --enable-slapd --enable-bdb --enable-dynamic --disable-wrapper
And successfully installed and configured it with the quickstart
guide (http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin/quickstart.html).
I was able to do a ldap search from the same RH box on the command line:
ldapsearch -x -b 'dc=example,dc=com' '(objectclass=*)' -h -p 389
and I can telnet 389 while on the RH box, and get connected.
But when I attempt to connect to it another machine it just hangs. I even
tried telneting from another machine:
C:\>telnet 389
Connecting To not open a connection to host on port 389 : Conn
ect failed
netstat on RH shows that it is listening (It looks OK to me):
netstat -a --numeric-ports|grep 389
tcp        0      0   *               LISTEN
I also stared slapd with debug, and it doesn't even recognize a connect
request from another machine - but it does for RH (
Any ideas on how to proceed?