Re: linux slapadd: backend_startup: bi_db_open failed! (-1)

slapd is able to start using the following configs:

suffix          "dc=itarchitect,dc=ca"
#suffix          "o=itarchitect"
#suffix          "dc=ldap,dc=itarchitect,dc=ca"
rootdn          "cn=DirectoryAdmin,dc=itarchitect,dc=ca"

OR

#suffix         "dc=itarchitect,dc=ca"
suffix          "o=itarchitect"
#suffix         "dc=ldap,dc=itarchitect,dc=ca"
rootdn          "cn=DirectoryAdmin,o=itarchitect"

OR

#suffix         "dc=itarchitect,dc=ca"
suffix          "o=itarchitect,dc=itarchitect,dc=ca"
#suffix         "dc=ldap,dc=itarchitect,dc=ca"
rootdn          "cn=DirectoryAdmin,o=itarchitect,dc=itarchitect,dc=ca"

However, slapd is UNABLE to start using the following configs:

#suffix         "dc=itarchitect,dc=ca"
suffix          "o=itarchitect"
suffix          "dc=ldap,dc=itarchitect,dc=ca"
rootdn          "cn=DirectoryAdmin,o=itarchitect"

OR

#suffix         "dc=itarchitect,dc=ca"
suffix          "o=itarchitect"
suffix          "dc=itarchitect,dc=ca"
rootdn          "cn=DirectoryAdmin,o=itarchitect"

With the above configs where slapd is UNABLE to start it will return the
following:

Mar  4 10:48:32 linux slapd[4889]: bdb_db_init: Initializing BDB database
Mar  4 10:48:32 linux slapd[4890]: backend_startup: bi_db_open(0) failed! (-1)
Mar  4 10:48:32 linux slapd[4890]: slapd stopped.
Mar  4 10:48:32 linux slapd[4890]: connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.

Now is this because of a pure configuration error on my part is is there
something else wrong? You will notice that the tutorial at the following URL
shows the following:

http://yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialLDAP-SLAPD-LDIF-V2-config.html

suffix          "o=domain-name"
suffix          "dc=ldap,dc=domain-name,dc=org"
rootdn          "cn=Manager,o=domain-name"

This is why I used the following (and of course it didn't work):

suffix          "o=itarchitect"
suffix          "dc=ldap,dc=itarchitect,dc=ca"
rootdn          "cn=DirectoryAdmin,o=itarchitect"

This is all I found so far... I will look at the archives you suggested and
see what they show me.

> [...]
>> (December 19, 2002)
> [...]
>> database        bdb
>> #suffix         "dc=itarchitect,dc=ca"
>> suffix          "o=itarchitect"
>> suffix          "dc=ldap,dc=itarchitect,dc=ca"
>> rootdn          "cn=DirectoryAdmin,o=itarchitect"
>> rootpw          {SHA}13kqeC5z7cV4fHTrG0z91Qz6+uk=
>> directory       /usr/local/var/openldap-data
>> #defaultaccess   read
>> schemacheck     onlastmod         on
>> #allow          *
>> # Indices to maintain
>> #index  objectClass                             eq
>> #index  objectClass,uid,uidNumber,gidNumber     eq
>> #index  cn,mail,surname,givenname               eq,subinitial
>> index   cn,sn,st                                pres,eq,sub
>>
>> For some reason, the bdb related error only happens with the above
>> configuration. However, if I use the slapd.conf.default and I tweak
>> the default values, my databases get created without any problems.
>> Therefore, I am wondering if this is a bug with OpenLDAP? Any
>> suggestions? Also, what is the proper syntax for slapadd when trying
>> to add the following
>> itarchitect.ldif file (after I get this to work that is):
>
> A couple of things:
>
> 1: Thanks for making me think and do a little research ("now why on
> earth would he want to do thinks =that= way?" ;)
> 2: Make sure that all database permissions agree with the slapd user 3:
> If you really want to split up your database this way, go back to a
> thread about suffixes and suffixaliases in the archives dated Aug. 4th
> last, begun by Dan Lowe and followed up by Luke Howard (I have it all
> on my harddisk, so I can't give archive references) and try it their
> way.
>
> Unfortunately, as far as I can see, none of this is in the Admin guide.
> Just try it and report back, will you?
>
>> dn: dc=ldap,dc=itarchitect,dc=ca
>> objectClass: top
>> objectclass: dcObject
>> objectclass: organization
>> dc: itarchitect
>> o: itarchitect
>>
>> dn: o=itarchitect
>> objectClass: top
>> objectClass: organization
>> o: itarchitect
>>
>> dn: cn=DirectoryAdmin,o=itarchitect
>> objectClass: organizationalRole
>> cn: DirectoryAdmin
>>
>> dn: ou=MemberGroupA,o=itarchitect
>> ou: MemberGroupA
>> objectClass: top
>> objectClass: organizationalUnit
>

>> I'm new to OpenLDAP so perhaps I missed something? Maybe OpenLDAP just
>> isn't 100% compatible with the latest BerkeleyDB? Should I be using
>> ldbm instead of bdb?
>
> No way should you use ldbm if you've already installed BDB. Read the
> stuff on the web site.
>
> Best,
>
> Tony
>
> --
>
> Tony Earnshaw
>
> All the world is mad, exceptin thee and me

Brian Bisaillon
E-mail: bisailb@myprivacy.ca

entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive
computer.