RE: Writing operations are very slow

This sounds like a client has closed a connection before waiting for a reply
from the server. Definitely, I would re-examine the client code.

As for Net::LDAP - it certainly is no joy to work with. We use Net::LDAPapi
which was written by Clayton Donley. We patched it to support the OpenLDAP
2.x API and submitted those patches to Clayton but he has apparently
abandoned this module, so we maintain it ourselves now.

  -- Howard Chu