Re: [OT] RDBMS and LDAP wars

Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
Planning to use LDAP for storing orgchart and physical building/room heirarchies.

Design tips: Put the all people in one node of your directory hierarchy (e.g. ou=People, dc=foo, dc=com) and model the organization with a tree of ou entries. Link the people to the ou's they work under and the buildings/rooms they habitate using the standard inetorgperson attributes. In most organizations, buildings don't tend to move around like people do!

The DBA folks are touting NO LDAP DO IT IN RDBMS because:

Because they are DBAs :)

    - LDAP has no referential integrity
    - moving trees/branches is not possible
    - no ACID transactions
    - no reporting tools like Crystal reports

As Howard Chu pointed out, #2 and #4 are basically wrong. #1 and #3 can be accomplished at the application layer. Referential integrity is even built onto some commercial directory server products (e.g. a plug-in to Sun ONE). As easy as LDAP makes it to express and backup data, I don't know why you need a whole bunch of rollback capabilities for anyway, especially with an application like this.

Anyone have wisdom on dealing with this? Something like a "rules of thumb" or "best practices" for what goes in a RDBMS vs LDAP and how they should could be used together in complimentary roles?

For arguing the LDAP side, check out:

http://www.mentata.com/ldaphttp/why/ldap.htm

I would recommend LDAP for your operational databases and RDBMS for things like data warehousing.

Jon Roberts
www.mentata.com