corrupt indexes.

How can I tell if I have corrupt indexes? My directory has gotten extremely slow and slapindex takes forever to complete. I don't understand why slapindex takes 4+ hours when I can delete the datafiles and reload the entire directory using slapadd in about a minute.

My production directory has done this 3 times now and I am kinda sick of reloading the directory during an unscheduled outage. I am running openldap-2.1.12/db-4.1.25 in bdb mode but I am thinking of going back to ldbm.

Thanks,

schu