Re: sample ldifs & sample slapd.conf

Russell Hires wrote:
I came across this URL which has an excellent ldif file, and doesn't use the (really bad) example of dc=example,dc=com...(And not to proselytize, either, BTW)
http://www.mentata.com/ldaphttp/examples/gospel/ldif.txt
http://www.mentata.com/ldaphttp/examples/gospel/
In fact, thanks to this, I understand that your DN doesn't have to be anything resembling a URL or even a domain name. It can be anything you want! I had the hardest time understanding that the rootdn is a separate entity (idea, even) from a URL/domain name, because of the examples in all of the docs.

I'm glad you liked it. I already advertised this example on this list; if anybody has any more questions about anything they find on my site, you can contact me directly at jon@mentata.com.

I wouldn't harsh the OpenLDAP docs. They are very good, if a bit succinct. They are trying to promote a legacy of best practices, and never tell you these things *must* be this way. This is called guidance, and it's good for both parties. You could rewrite the core.schema and OpenLDAP may still run just fine, but that doesn't mean you should do it. The rootdn thing, however, is just a convention. I credit OpenLDAP with maintaining their allegiance to the specifications in the implementation, not enforcing their own practices. The software world would be a better place if others took that lead.

[Extremely OT]: Incidentally, this (gospel) example is *not* about proselytization. Using the bible (read: literature) is in the tradition of Project Gutenburg, not of the Spanish Inquisition. As I'll explain on the site in the coming weeks, this is actually meant as a protest to the war in Iraq. If that sounds ironic, then maybe you need to read these stories for yourself. "Christian Conservative" leaders are the scribes and pharisees of today; heterological on both counts.

Jon Roberts
www.mentata.com