newbie question on configuration

hi,

i'm trying to run slapd using my own .conf file. so following the admin guide, i used
su root -c /usr/local/libexec/slapd -f /usr/local/etc/openldap/bidsterslapd.conf

however when i try to check that it is indeed running, using the command in the guide, ie:
ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts

i still get the same results that i got when i was using the default slapd.conf file. can anyone tell me how to do this right, or what i'm doing wrong? thanks

-----

include		/usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include		/usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema

pidfile /usr/local/var/slapd.pid argsfile /usr/local/var/slapd.args access to * by * read

database bdb suffix "dc=bidster,dc=com" rootdn "cn=Manager,dc=bidster,dc=com" rootpw secret

directory	/usr/local/var/openldap-data

index	objectClass	eq
index cn,sn,uid pres,eq,approx,sub
index uid pres,eq
access to * by users read

~*Melisse*~

"This is the one true joy in life, the being used
for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty
one"
                             -George Bernard Shaw