Odd response from an LDAP query

I finally figured out a way around the delay problem I was having (by including the -h option in the command line), but just for fun, I removed the namingContexts from the standard 'test query' to see what would happen, and I get what looks like my entire home directory. The query looks like this:

ldapsearch -x -h -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)'

Since the directory specified in /etc/openldap/slapd.conf is /var/lib/ldap, Can someone explain this?