RE: killing slapd

You should be using the grave accent character (`) to surround the cat
command instead of the single quote character ('). Leaving aside the true
location of the slapd.pid file, which I assume is correct, the command
should look as follows:

	kill -INT `cat /usr/local/var/slapd.pid`

Hope this helps,

Matthew Hardin
Symas Coropration
Packaged and Supported OpenLDAP binaries: http://www.symas.net/download