Re: nsswitch.conf:hosts files ldap dns

>>I did notice on the second system (the server), there are two more ldap
>>packages installed than on the client (the one in question) The server
>>also has openldap12 and php-ldap installed.  I wonder if the openldap12
>>supplies the missing piece??  I'll try it some other time as I am behind
>>schedule now.  Unless someone can elaborate further on the openldap12
>>pkg.
>These packages are packages provided by your vendor.
>If you have questions about them, your vendor might help.

RH has updated these packages since 8.0 came out.

>Given the name, I assume that openldap12 might be a 1.2 version.

You need openldap12, this package (in RedHat) merely provides the LDAPv2
only libraries that shipped with 1.2.x.  This will not conflict with the
2.0.x packages at all, and will make and binary packages linked to the
older libraries happy.

>This is very old. Using a newer version (current is 2.1.12) might
>help you too.

The 2.0.x tree should not cause the behaviour discussed.