Re: nsswitch.conf:hosts files ldap dns

Peter Marschall wrote:

OpenLDAP is a directory server, nothing more nothing less.
It does not provide means to replace NIS/NIS+/AD/...
This functionality is provided by third party modules like nss_ldap
or pam_ldap that have little / nothing to do with OpenLDAP.

well it's the basis of a replacement for those things... but you bring up an excellent point. So I guess I'm getting a little off topic here, (as this pertains to nss_ldap), but my original point was that I don't accept "don't use it for hosts" with no good explination, as a solution to "it breaks everything else when you use it for hosts" despite the fact the original authors say it can be used for hosts.

--
Phil Dibowitz                             phil@ipom.com
Freeware and Technical Pages              Insanity Palace of Metallica

 - Benjamin Franklin, 1759