Re: nsswitch.conf:hosts files ldap dns

Alan Sparks wrote:
> I'm thinking you're putting the 'ldap' entry in the 'hosts:' line of
> there?  Think you should take that out.  Use LDAP for passwd, group,
> and shadow, not for name lookup.  Use dns for that.
>-Alan

HUH?!?!?!

I'm having the saem problem that Mr. Canary is having - only I'm having it on all machines. And there is NO reason that putting ldap in the hosts line of nsswitch.conf should cause SEGFAULTS in nss_ldap, or cause it to not function properly.

OpenLDAP is/should be a complete replacement for NIS/NIS+/AD/whatever and if I so choose to use it for hosts information, then why shouldn't I be able to?

I use DNS for outside world information, but I'd prefer to keep all local user and host information in ONE database - LDAP. Why on earth would the answer to that be "no, use LDAP"?? Is there a reason LDAP and/or nss_ldap/pam_ldap cannot handle being used for hosts information? I mean, provided the server's entry is in the local /etc/hosts file, we should be able to use ldap for all other hosts information.

After all most howto's I've read (including the mandrake one and the LDP one) both mention using LDAP for hosts info... why on earth should you not be able to? Is it an unexplained fluke, or a shortcoming, or a conflict of libraries, or...?

Just as a note... this is certainly by no means directed at Mr. Sparks.

--
Phil Dibowitz                             phil@ipom.com
Freeware and Technical Pages              Insanity Palace of Metallica

 - Benjamin Franklin, 1759