nsswitch.conf:hosts files ldap dns

I am stumped agian and I didn't find what I was I looking for....

If I put "hosts files ldap dns" in the nsswitch.conf file (client side)
then everything locks up.  I can't even open a terminal window or even
open midnight commander.  I have to reboot into single users mode and
run iv to edit the conf file so everything gose back to a sane state.

I have the passwd, shadow, group noted (files ldap), and it seems to be
working fine as I can see the requests comming/going from the ldap
server.  Whilethe sever is setup with the host entry it is doing fine
and no problems.  But, if I put the "hosts files ldap dns" entry in the
nsswitch.conf on th e client side then the cleint will lock up.

I have in the clients hosts file an entry for the client machine, the
ldap server, and localhost.

so.......any ideas ?

Thanks in advance :-)

--