RE: Redhat 7.3 + openLDAP

it could be a dns timeout - whats the contents of your /etc/hosts file?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org]On Behalf Of bondpaper
Sent: 12 February 2003 18:18
To: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Redhat 7.3 + openLDAP

I've been investigating the use of an LDAP directory for managing
in-house customer-related information, and though I'm at the very
beginning of the process, I've come across a condition that has me
puzzled. Redhat 7.3 comes with everything installed regarding OpenLDAP,
SASL, etc, so I haven't needed to compile and install anything
separately. After I set up the slapd.conf file to contain the basic
information (rootdn and rootpw), and the /etc/ldap.conf file to contain
the correct host and base definitions, I issue the following standard
search command to check and make sure it's working:

ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts

The problem is that it takes about minute to return with a response. The
same delay is present when I add a couple of simple records from an ldif
file using ldapadd. I'm puzzled as to why this delay exists, and I'm
wondering if someone can point me to possible solution.