Active Directory controls, replication, dirsync?

Title: Active Directory controls, replication, dirsync?

Greetings!

Has anyone had any luck getting MS Active Directory to announce it's changes using something neutral like JAVA?
I know it can by done with ADSI but I want to avoid MS-proprietary software if possible.

I've tried quite a bit of sample code modifications but seem to always get the error;

--------------------
LDAP Error: com.novell.ldap.LDAPException: 00000057: LdapErr: DSID-0C090591, comment: Error processing control, data 0, v893  : (12) Unavailable Critical ExtensIon

The novell-java persistent search code also fails with the same error.   Active Directory, when queried, CLAIMS to support notifications as well as persistent searches.

The sparse documentation, I can find claims LDAP controls are supported and notifications should work.

I've tried using TLS and non-TLS connections but I still get the error pasted above.

Seems to me, a great project would be an Active Directory 'notifier' service that broadcasts AD changes to other services.

I sure could use some snippets or tips to get a prototype to give me a little hope.

Any clues?

Howard
Howard.moore@borland.NOSPAM.com