RE: searching for >=

In general this is the right answer. In this particular case, I wouldn't be
particularly worried either way. The caveat about core schema above is worth
keeping in mind, but uidNumber is from nis.schema, which comes from the
(expired) RFC2307. It will never migrate into the core. RFC 2307 was only
ever an experimental RFC, which I take to mean "I'm thinking about doing
things like this, use at your own risk, your mileage will vary."
Compatibility and interoperability are nice to maintain, but the spec itself
is ill-defined to begin with, so I would (a) never expect any two
implementations of RFC 2307 to be compatible and (b) have no qualms about
redefining it as needed in my own deployments. On the other hand, since it is
only an experimental schema, the best answer may still be to disregard it and
completely design your own.

  -- Howard Chu