LDAP usages

Greetings List,

I am investigating the possiblilty of using LDAP to control our mail
severs.  However, I know *nothing* about LDAP.  I am completely ignorant
to its capabilities, functions, purposes, controls, and configurations.

Before I get to invloved with this project (only to find out it is not
doing what I want).  I would like share with what I am wanting to do and
hopefully you can give me some feed back on what I need to do, as well
as some helpful documentation.  I have the manual from the website.

We have three mail servers.
1 public - used for general mail accounts under our domain
1 semi-public - used for clients with email under their own domain.
This server hosts a number of virtual mail accounts.  So the editing of
"/etc/virtualusers" and "/etc/genericstable" and "/etc/generics-domain"
(and others) would need to be edited when a virtual mailuser is added.
1  noraml mail server for a business, which co-lcates the sever here,
but we maintain and admin the server.

Will LDAP allow me to control these accounts?  I am mainly concerned
about the second (semi-public) server.  It has allotof moving parts to
be edited for a virtual mail user to function properly, as well as
adding a domain.

Dose LDAP have to be loaded on the same server, or can it be else where
on the network.  I mainly need LDAP for a more standardizes approach for
admin:ing mail accounts and domains.

thanks in advance :-)

--
robert