Re: Learning Curve Questions

man, 2003-02-10 kl. 07:52 skrev Robert Canary:

> I have a situation here where I am trying to get a better control over
> the maint and admin of mail accounts, pop3 retrievels, and domain
> zones.  I have been going down the list trying to find a viable
> soultion.  I am now on the LDAP concept and have a few questions before
> I speed the next two days reading.

> Is LDAP what I need to be able to update mail accounts (how would
> qpopper talk to LDAP)

I don't know qpopper, don't use it, but: My UW-imapd and UW-ipop3d
authenticate to ldap using the pam, pam_ldap and nss_ldap modules. (The
few) /etc/passwd-based users are looked after and ldap-based users
likewise.

> can I use LDAP to manage zone records?

Apparently so, but I as an avid BIND maintainer would never do so -
horses for courses.

> I read in the Usersguid that one can use an SQL backend DB instead of
> the flatfile.  However, it never went on to say how to do that.  Is
> there any receipes for putting that together?

Your best resource for *any* question you have on these topics are the
mail archives - go back a year or so. Purely because all this and much
more you'd like to ask have been covered extensively and there have been
many discussions with input from some of the top people around - who've
helped me personally a lot. Because it's all topical, you'll gain much
from it.

I reckon the best thing you could do, apart from reading the archives,
is to play with a recent Openldap version and see what it can do for
you. Follow the admin guide at Openldap.org's site to the letter and
branch out from that. If you feel up to "rolling your own," download the
basic Openldap 2.1.12 tarball and use that for starters.

A few helpful links - there are *many, many* more:

ftp://kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/ldapv3.pdf
http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/ldap-auth.php
http://www.kingsmountain.com/ldapRoadmap.shtml
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/pubs/pdfs/redbooks/sg244986.pdf
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/pubs/pdfs/redbooks/sg245110.pdf

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

"Can anyone define 'modern enclitic
mediocrity' in terms of the Euro for me?"
- Billy the (Norwegian-Dutch) Cat, Feb '03

e-post:		tonni@billy.demon.nl
www:		http://www.billy.demon.nl