Re: LDAP & PAM on Redhat 8 Problem

Tony Earnshaw wrote:
tor, 2003-02-06 kl. 09:48 skrev Luis Martinez Martinez:

I had problems with pam and ldap in RH8.0 as well. In my case I found that the nscd daemon package (which rules the auth cache subsystem) was broken for pam-ldap on RH8.0. If I dissable this daemon pam-ldap auth works, although there is an important performance hit. I posted a bug to REDHAT about this, but still no answer. Perhaps you are having the same problem.

In case it makes you happy, I have (still :) exactly the same with RH
7.2, which I still use. nscd worked for a while, hours in fact, then
suddenly no PAM stuff worked any more. Killing all nscd processes
immediately alleviated the problem.

I'm running a BIND 9.2 caching name server at the same time, and I came
to the conclusion nscd and BIND's named didn't like each other. If you
have the one, you don't need the other.

Best,

Tony

For me nscd under 7.3 don't create pb !
I really need it beceause my /etc/ldap.conf is in mode 600 (bindpw in it !), so users cannot logging if nscd (which runs under uid=root, so can read /etc/ldap.conf) isn't running . I haven't really checked that pb, but running nearly 100 machines this way all day long, I would have had users complaints if it was a pb .