OpenLDAP 2.0.25 problems with ldif files

I am having problems with openldap 2.0.25 from a redhat 8.0 install...  I am
following to the letter my notes from installing ldap on a redhat 7.2 box
with version 2.0.21, and it worked fine... now I am getting the following:

with the command:
ldapadd -v -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=whatever,dc=domain,dc=edu" -W -f ./base.ldif

the following response:

-----------------
add objectclass:
        dcObject
        organization
        organizationalRole
add o:
        XYZ Department
add dc:
        anythinggoes
add dn:
        cn=Manager,dc=whatever,dc=domain,dc=edu
add cn:
        Manager
adding new entry "dc=whatever,dc=domain,dc=edu"
ldap_add: Undefined attribute type
        additional info: dn: attribute type undefined

ldif_record() = 17
-----------------

the contents of the ldif file are the same format as I had used before...

dn: dc=whatever,dc=domain,dc=edu
objectclass: dcObject
objectclass: organization
o: Department
dc: whatever

dn: cn=Manager,dc=whatever,dc=domain,dc=edu
objectclass: organizationalRole
cn: Manager

dn: ou=people,dc=whatever,dc=domain,dc=edu
objectclass: organizationalUnit
ou: people

dn: ou=groups,dc=whatever,dc=domain,dc=edu
objectclass: top
objectclass: organizationalUnit
ou: groups

I can't figure out what the problem is, since my knowledge of ldap is
somewhat limited...  a search of
ldapsearch -x -b 'dc=whatever,dc=domain,dc=edu' '(objectclass=*)'
brings back nothing...

I have confirmed that I can connect to the ldap server fine, I just can't
write the records, and thus can't add any entries...

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks,

JH

--