Re: restart the LDAP

try the following

/bin/ps -ef (or ps -aux on some OS) | grep sl
look for /usr/local/libexec/slapd
kill -9 `/bin/cat /path/to/slapd.pid`

/path/to/slapd.pid should be definied in your slapd.conf which is
typically in /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf

create some stop and startup scripts to simplify your life

here's a stab from memory (you might want to troll the archives too
since i think i posted a sample startup/shutdown script)

SLAPD_CONF=/path/to/slapd.conf

case "$1" in
   'start')
      if [ -x /usr/local/libexec/slapd ];
      then
         echo "Starting slapd"
         /usr/local/libexec/slapd -h "ldap://hostname:389/"; -u myuser -
g mygroup -d 256 -f $SLAPD_CONF -l local4
         if [ $? != 0 ];
         then
            echo "Failed to start slapd! Check logs"
            exit 1
         fi
       fi
   'stop')
      if [ -f /path/to/slapd.pid ];
      then
         kill -HUP `/bin/cat /path/to/slapd.pid`
         if [ $? != 0 ];
         then
            echo "Something is wrong.. Can't terminate the pid. Are
you root?"
            exit 1
         else
            echo "Slapd killed"