Re: Help! Redhat 7.2 GUI login as OpenLDAP client

Do not know if anyone has such a problem before and have had a better
solution, but I, encouraged by Ingo, would like to post a trial method
to resolve the Gnome login issue with LDAP clients

>From Ingo's hints I managed to make the linux clients to work.

Since I did not change any gnome setting during my ldap client set up, it
seems there is no problem with the gnome login at all. However the
redhat's "authconfig" process did not configure the gnome ever and it
only configures the authentication mechanism.

As long as your use gnome login interface to try login your ldap account,
you need to have a homedirectory in the local machine. In that home
directory you should have .gnome, .Xauth* or maybe otehr .* files included.
you may also need to change the ownership as well.

I am wandering if redhat has a solution to that issue. Do we need to
manually do that to make gnome login to work? Is there a way to do it
automatically?

Unlike solairs the default shell for Redhat user is bash and you may need to
resolve the shell setting conflict in the passwd.ldif for ldap server.

Jihua Zhong
System/Networking
Law School of UPENN
Philadephia, PA 19104