OpendLDAP Unable to find SASL2

Good Morning List,

I am trying to compile OpenLDAP with TLS/SSL and SASL support.  It took
me ages to get the SASL library installed, but I finally managed it and
thought the next bit would be plain sailing, however I have a problem
which is causing the compile to fail and would be over the moon if
someone was able to help me.

The problem is that during the 'make' phase of the build the software
comes back with:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsasl2

Initally when I tried to configure the OpenLDAP package it failed
because it could not find the libraries, however I fixed this with the
use of CPPFLAGS, but the make then failed.

I have the path to the libraries in my /etc/ld.so.conf file and have run
ldconfig, but still the make cannot find sasl2 even though the configure
script did.

I am on quite a tight deadline for this and would very much appreciate
any help that the list maybe able to provide.

More of the output as to where make fails is at the end of this posting.

Thanks very much in advance,

Regards,

Russell Seymour

OUTPUT from make -------------------------------------------------------

  Entering subdirectory libldap
make[2]: Entering directory `/src/openldap-2.1.12/libraries/libldap'
/bin/sh /src/openldap-2.1.12/libtool  --mode=link cc -g -O2
-version-info 2:111:0 -rpath /usr/local/openldap/lib -o libldap.la
bind.lo open.lo result.lo error.lo compare.lo search.lo controls.lo
messages.lo references.lo extended.lo cyrus.lo modify.lo add.lo
modrdn.lo delete.lo abandon.lo cache.lo sasl.lo sbind.lo kbind.lo
unbind.lo filter.lo free.lo sort.lo getdn.lo getentry.lo getattr.lo
getvalues.lo addentry.lo request.lo os-ip.lo url.lo sortctrl.lo
vlvctrl.lo init.lo options.lo print.lo string.lo util-int.lo schema.lo
charray.lo tls.lo os-local.lo dnssrv.lo utf-8.lo utf-8-conv.lo
version.lo ../../libraries/liblber/liblber.la
-lresolv -ldl  -lsasl2  -lssl -lcrypto
rm -fr .libs/libldap.la .libs/libldap.* .libs/libldap.*
cc -shared  bind.lo open.lo result.lo error.lo compare.lo search.lo
controls.lo
messages.lo references.lo extended.lo cyrus.lo modify.lo add.lo
modrdn.lo delete.lo abandon.lo cache.lo sasl.lo sbind.lo kbind.lo
unbind.lo filter.lo free.lo sort.lo getdn.lo getentry.lo getattr.lo
getvalues.lo addentry.lo request.lo os-ip.lo url.lo sortctrl.lo
vlvctrl.lo init.lo options.lo print.lo string.lo util-int.lo schema.lo
charray.lo tls.lo os-local.lo dnssrv.lo utf-8.lo utf-8-conv.lo
version.lo  -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/src/openldap-2.1.12/libraries/liblber/.libs
-Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/openldap/lib
../../libraries/liblber/.libs/liblber.so -lresolv
-ldl -lsasl2 -lssl -lcrypto   -Wl,-soname -Wl,libldap.so.2 -o
.libs/libldap.so.2.0.111
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsasl2
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [libldap.la] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/src/openldap-2.1.12/libraries/libldap'
make[1]: *** [all-common] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/src/openldap-2.1.12/libraries'
make: *** [all-common] Error 1