From: Jon Roberts [mailto:jon@mentata.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 9:37 AM
To: Mike Denka
Cc: OpenLDAP Software
Subject: Re: How can I lock a record using php-ldap?

Mike Denka wrote:

>Jim C wrote:
>

>>. .  and I definitely don't recommend storing
>>the highest uidNumber value in the directory database itself.
>>

>Why not? Aside from the fact that it is difficult to lock, are there
>other reasons?

Because 1) it's difficult to lock and 2) time to update will be slower
than memory or even accessing a flat file. If you're adding a lot of new

entries, you'd  be simultaneously updating this other entry for each
one, essentially doubling your load on the directory server. Don't
forget: add/update entry => update indices.

Jon