confused: after PADL migration, can only search as Manager?

Hi all.

I finally got the PADL scripts to migrate all of my data into a nice
ldap directory.  (openldap 2.1.12, compiled from source, running on
Redhat 7.3).

However, I'm now noticing that I seem to be only able to search the
directory as the "Manager".  I'm running all defaults in my slapd.conf
file (this is on a test box in a protected area, btw), which should let
anyone at least read.

Here's what I'm getting:

 > ldapsearch -L -W -D "uid=jonesy,ou=People,dc=my,dc=domain,dc=com"
'uid=jonesy' -x
ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)

However, if I use "cn=Manager,dc=my,dc=domain,dc=com" everything is fine
- using all of the same flags and everything.

How does LDAP check if you're a valid user?  Does it not use the
password that's in the user's entry in the directory itself?  The
authentication stuff is really cloudy for me right now, so excuse my