odd bahaviour with indexes in 2.1.12 & BDB, doesnt happen in 2.0.27

Hello,
I'm not sure if this is me being stupid or a bug, so I thought I would
post here before filling a bug report.

This is all with OpenLDAP 2.1.12 and BerkeleyDB 4.0.14 or 4.1.25
using bdb backend.

I'm indexing both uid,nmsuAuxUID, and sendmailMTAKey with "pres,eq"
In both cases I'm using the following filter.
(|(uid=ian)(nmsuAuxUID=ian)(sendmailMTAKey=ian))
I have what seems to be a very odd difference in search times.

In case number one I have one entry with uid=ian, and one with
sendmailMTAkey=ian the results are normal and take only a second or so (normal)

# LDAPv3
# base <dc=nmsu,dc=edu> with scope sub
# filter: (|(uid=ian)(nmsuAuxUID=ian)(sendmailMTAKey=ian))
# requesting: dn
#

# 2, People, NMSU.Edu
dn: nmsuEntityNo=2,ou=People,dc=NMSU,dc=Edu

# ian, Aliases, NMSU.Edu
dn: sendmailMTAKey=ian,ou=Aliases,dc=NMSU,dc=Edu

Now, if I add a second attribute of uid with value ian to a different
entry things change a lot.

The results look like
# base <dc=nmsu,dc=edu> with scope sub
# filter: (|(uid=ian)(nmsuAuxUID=ian)(sendmailMTAKey=ian))
# requesting: dn
#

# 2, People, NMSU.Edu
dn: nmsuEntityNo=2,ou=People,dc=NMSU,dc=Edu

# 3, People, NMSU.Edu
dn: nmsuEntityNo=3,ou=People,dc=NMSU,dc=Edu

#30 to 40 seconds pause, with slapd going to high CPU usage

# ian, Aliases, NMSU.Edu
dn: sendmailMTAKey=ian,ou=Aliases,dc=NMSU,dc=Edu

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

It seems like its searching the rest of the index, its not a long enough
delay for the directory to search every object.

I've verified that this behavior does not happen with 2.0.27 and ldbm.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
Ian
--
Ian Logan
Information and Communication Technologies

--h0DJK9vm003758.1042485609/geddy.nmsu.edu--