Re: Anyone on this list patient with stupid questions?

Quoting "jonathan.w.smith@att.net" <jonathan.w.smith@att.net>:

 | Thanks for your kind reply. You write:
 |
 | > Technically, yes... in order to do ldapadd, the slapd daemon must be
 | > running... in order for slapd to run, it has to be configured properly.
 |
 | 2. Hmmm, that statement has got me baffled! slapd is running for me. I can
 | stop
 | and restart with no problemo, or so it would appear to me. In fact, it
 | wasn't
 | running once when I mucked about with the slapd.conf and when I restored a
 | previous version of slapd.conf, the slapdaemon was happy once again. Yet, I
 | am
 | unable to work with it, e.g., lapdadd. (scratches head)

You would not use ldapadd with slapd running.  Use slapadd.  Have you walked
through the simple "Quick Start Guide"  I believe it addresses quit a few of
the issues here plus it gives you some needed experience.  It shouldn't take
much time.  It can be found at http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin/quickstart.html

If you've already done this, I apologize because I got to the thread a bit
late and haven't read the messages previous to this one.

ed