RE: Anyone on this list patient with stupid questions?

That is exactly what I was feeling. Anyway I DO HAVE a number of LDAP books.
My impression is that most of these books are very product oriented. And
there's no one out where you can really find all this information TOGETHER.
You will find only a piece in one book, another puzzle in a further book,
another piece in a third book and so on.

So I decided to write my own book. I had the luck to find a publisher, the
book will  go into production in a few months.

I think I have tried to answer all these questions, anyway LDAP is a very
particular argument. There's a lot of points just inherited from X.500
technology. Since most of X.500 stuff is not freely available as LDAP is,
and a lot of documents refer to this X.500 stuff  , .... I let to your
imagination.
There's also a lot of wrong information around. And at last,  most
information is - as said before - product oriented.

Excuse me anyway for making publicity, ( I avoided to mention the title )

I would consult amazon to have some idea of what's around, you will find a
number of books about this argument.

best

reinhard voglmaier