slapd not writing to replogfile

   I've just started trying to bring up a replica for my OpenLDAP
2.0.23 server on SuSE Linux 8.0.  I've ben following the instructions at
http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin20/replication.html and everything is
fine up to section 10.4.6, "Restart the master slapd process. To check
that it is generating replication logs, perform a modification of any
entry in the database, and check that data has been written to the log
file."  When I make a change, the files /var/log/slurpd (specified by
the replogfile directive) and /var/log/slurpd.lock are created but both
are empty files.  slapd is running as root.

   Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jason Joines
Open Source = Open Mind