SASL/DIGEST-MD5 Question

Hello,

I am working on setting up authentication with OpenLDAP using SASL/DIGEST-MD5.  I am using a simple Java/JNDI program to authenticate with the server and everything works fine. My question, however, revolves around why the server stores the passwords on the server in clear text.  Is there a way to tell OpenLDAP to encrypt the password so that an admin cannot easily read it?  I hope I am missing something simple.

Using OpenLDAP 2.1.10, Cyrus-SASL 2.1.10, OpenSSL 0.9.7 and gdbm 1.8.3.  All compiled from source on Redhat Linux 7.3.

Thanks,

Scott MacLellan
Sweetheart Cup Co.
smaclellan@sweetheart.com