RE: OpenLDAP 2.1.9 on Alpha Linux

slapd uses threads, not subprocesses. Granted the two are difficult to
distinguish when running LinuxThreads... You can run configure
"--without-threads" to build a single-threaded slapd for test purposes.
However, strace really isn't going to provide you enough information to track
this problem. You really need to use a debugger like gdb to step thru the
code in ber_get_next() and see what data it received.

  -- Howard Chu