From: owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org] On Behalf Of Wei Wang
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 12:04 PM
To: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Can slapadd but not ldapadd/modify/search

I am trying to do some very basic testing with OpenLDAP 2.0.25
on a Mandrake 9.0 box. I believe I have setup everything
correctly, and I can "slapadd" an LDIF file which would create
databases. However, I can not search anything in the directory.
No luck with "ldapadd" or "ldapmodify" either.

For example, when I start "slapd" with no database at all and
then try to add one entry using "ldapadd", I get the following:

$ ldapadd -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=Interlink,dc=com" -w secret -h \

dn: uid=t000l, dc=test, dc=org
objectclass: top
objectclass: person
objectclass: organizationalPerson
objectclass: inetOrgPerson
cn: t000l
sn: t000l
uid: t000l
userpassword: hq8nf7iu

adding new entry "uid=t000l, dc=test, dc=org"
ldap_add: Operations error

ldif_record() = 1

The "dc=test, dc=org" is defined as a suffix in my "slapd.conf".

I can't seem to find any log from "slapd" about the failure. Am
I missing something really simple here? I'd really appreciate it
if someone could save me from more head banging.

Wei Wang                  mailto:weiwang@interlinknetworks.com
Interlink Networks, Inc.  http://www.interlinknetworks.com