Can slapadd but not ldapadd/modify/search

Greetings,

I am trying to do some very basic testing with OpenLDAP 2.0.25 on a Mandrake 9.0 box. I believe I have setup everything correctly, and I can "slapadd" an LDIF file which would create databases. However, I can not search anything in the directory. No luck with "ldapadd" or "ldapmodify" either.

For example, when I start "slapd" with no database at all and then try to add one entry using "ldapadd", I get the following:

$ ldapadd -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=Interlink,dc=com" -w secret -h \
localhost

dn: uid=t000l, dc=test, dc=org
objectclass: top
objectclass: person
objectclass: organizationalPerson
objectclass: inetOrgPerson
cn: t000l
sn: t000l
uid: t000l
userpassword: hq8nf7iu

adding new entry "uid=t000l, dc=test, dc=org"
ldap_add: Operations error

ldif_record() = 1

The "dc=test, dc=org" is defined as a suffix in my "slapd.conf".

I can't seem to find any log from "slapd" about the failure. Am I missing something really simple here? I'd really appreciate it if someone could save me from more head banging.

Regards,
--
Wei Wang                  mailto:weiwang@interlinknetworks.com
Interlink Networks, Inc.  http://www.interlinknetworks.com