Openldap and sasl problem-- newbie

Hi all,

I am new to this stuff but i guess i have spent lot of time to browse through the archives to find if somebody else has gone through the same problems with LDAP and SASL setup. Was glad to find out the way through until i got stuck at his point.

Let me be a bit more precise.I have installed the openldap server 2.0.23 & cyrus sasl 1.5.27 from my suse 8.0 distribution.

I was able to startup the OpenLDAP using the slapd.conf file and was happy to see the server up and running which i could findout from the process list (ps - ax). From the quick start guide i tried the ldapsearch command and got a "ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Can't contact LDAP server".
i found out that sasl needs a Database and it was failing to open the the Berkeley Database which was confirmed from the error log stating "unable to open berkeley db/etc/sasldb: Is a directory". from the archive i came to know that a new account has to be created for the sasldb creation. I tried the saslpasswd command with user option -u to create an account. It prompts for the password and verfication but gives me the following error

saslpasswd: unable to open Berkeley db /etc/sasldb: Is a directory

Dec 9 10:00:18 mitra last message repeated 2 times

Dec 9 10:00:18 mitra saslpasswd: failed to set plaintext secret for imdad: generic failure

Dec 9 10:00:18 mitra saslpasswd: PLAIN: failed to set secret for imdad: generic failure

Dec 9 10:00:18 mitra saslpasswd: unable to open Berkeley db /etc/sasldb: Is a directory

Dec 9 10:00:18 mitra saslpasswd: CRAM-MD5: failed to set secret for imdad: generic failure

Dec 9 10:00:18 mitra saslpasswd: unable to open Berkeley db /etc/sasldb: Is a directory

Dec 9 10:00:18 mitra saslpasswd: DIGEST-MD5: failed to set secret for imdad: generic failure

 am working as the root so i dont have any permission problems. i am stuck at this point and have also gone through the archives but didnot help me further.
Is it possible to run LDAP without sasl if so any ideas. I have gone through the documentation doesnt give me much info regarding that. Probably my sasl version is pretty old. Should i replace the sasl version, if so should i remove the old one and then install the new one? I didnt find any rpm distributions. I tried building the latest distribution but landed with problems as well.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

regards
ldapnewbie